5 Charities To Volunteer For On A Not-So-Busy Weekend
Living in the city can take its toll on you — a ton of work, dentist appointment, grocery shopping for the week, meeting with friends, name it — that those precious two-day rest day we call a weekend is all the breather we can get. But sometimes, even if you hit that 10-hour sleep or watch Netflix all day, there will be days when you feel like you need to do something else. If you can’t think of anything better, why not leave your worries behind and try to care for the worries of others?
You know how back when you were a teenager, you’d like to join charity activities? Well, being a grown up lets you decide on your own — so for the weekend, why not do it like the old times and sign up?
Apart from if being a fun way to spend your free time, it’s the sense of fulfillment everytime you give a helping hand. The heartwarming feeling envelopes you throughout the day and brings that smile to your face until you lie in your bed. And isn’t that something we want?
Here are five charities to check out. And remember, the more, the merrier, so tag your buddies along!
1. Liter of Light Global Foundation. This organization aims to provide affordable, sustainable solar light to people with limited or no access to electricity at all. Volunteers will teach marginalized communities on how to use recycled plastic bottles and other locally-sourced materials to create lamps needed in their homes and communities as a whole. Visit www.facebook.com/aliteroflight for updates on their upcoming activities.
2. Compassion and Responsibility for Animals (CARA Welfare Philippines). We all love our pets with all our hearts, but our love for animals doesn’t end at home. With CARA, stray cats and dogs are taken care of — fed, bathe, played, and showered with love. You can adopt or foster your chosen furry buddy and share warm hugs with these cuties. Visit www.facebook.com/CARAwelfareph for more information.
3. The Storytelling Project. Is teaching your passion? Or perhaps reading is? Whether you like one or both, The Storytelling Project gives you the opportunity to share stories to remote communities’ kids to inspire the habit of reading and to spark their imagination through — what else — storytelling. They have developed a 21-day storytelling program for target locations and gone around tirelessly in the name of learning. Visit www.facebook.com/TheStorytellingProject and sign up to volunteer!
4. ICanServe Foundation, Inc. It’s not just about embracing femininity, but everything that comes with it — cancer included. This group provides hope and help to women at risk for or living with breast cancer, and promotes early breast cancer detection through various activities like regular breast self-examination, clinical breast examination and mammography. If you’re a survivor or an advocate, this is the organization for you. Visit www.facebook.com/icanserve to know more.
5. U! Happy Events. This organization reaches out to marginalized communities and provides support and teaches values to their children. Volunteering here is never a chore, with the different kinds of meaningful and creative activities they hold. Visit www.facebook.com/uhappyevents to get to know them more.
Still got no time? Well, we’ll make it easy for you. You can help these organizations by shopping at alisters.com.ph. A portion of the sales goes to the celebrity’s chosen charity, thus adding meaning to retail therapy than just spending your money — it goes to a good cause! How about that for a treat, yes?